We believe that formulation skills are essential.
The two courses that comprise Aromatic Formulation give you the solid knowledge base you need to start formulating your own face and body care products. Join Robert Tisserand and Lise Andersen, who will guide you through a range of expert creations for you to add to your aromatherapy toolkit. Four months of step-by-step instruction, filled with customizable formulas for balms, salves, masks… and now also emulsions!
Aromatic FormulationBundle price - payment in full
Save $100 on the bundle (regular price $675)
Aromatic FormulationPayment plan
Five payments of $115 over 5 months
Enrollment for 2021 closed.
This is an eight week course. During seven fascinating lessons, expert cosmetic formulator Lise Andersen will share her passion, know-how and professional techniques for creating silken whips, balms, serums, mists and more. You’ll explore the pros and pitfalls of plant oils, waxes and butters, and discover how and where to procure the right equipment and fresh, raw ingredients.
There is also one lesson on Essential Oil Blending with Robert Tisserand. Offered in week two, Robert will personally guide you in creating safe and beautifully scented therapeutic and cosmeceutical blends for adding to your formulations.
As well as gaining the proper methodology for custom formulating, you’ll get dozens of smart tested formulas, including essential oil blends designed by Robert. Stop relying on dubious DIY recipes that are potentially ineffective or unsafe, and confidently create your own sound formulations.
Completion of this course is a prerequisite for Level 2 – Emulsion Essentials.
In this four week course Lise Andersen expertly walks you through the process and equips you with the knowledge to make your own safe, stable, hand-stirred emulsions without having to invest in pricey lab equipment.
The need for preservatives, emulsifiers, and pH testing makes some artisan formulators hesitate about taking the big leap. Yes you do need them, and yet there are creative solutions! Lise Andersen will guide you through each process – with her signature enthusiasm and her wealth of knowledge to help, you can do this!
Lise has carefully selected ingredients that are globally available, easy to work with, and that can be combined using regular kitchen tools and equipment. She shares her many tried and tested techniques and provides you with the insights you’ll need to continue your emulsion-making journey with confidence.
You’ll get step by step instructions and six unique formulations from eye serum to face cleanser to rich soothing salve. You’ll learn how to work with six different emulsifiers and get comfortable about using preservatives while creating a collection of beautiful products that are as natural is it’s possible to be. Six unique essential oil blends by Robert Tisserand are included in the course.
Level 1: Eight 60-minute pre-recorded lessons.
Level 2: Four 60-minute pre-recorded lessons.
Level 1: Two live Q&A sessions (one with Robert Tisserand)
Level 2: Two live Q&A sessions
PRINTABLE COURSE MATERIAL
Extensive downloadable handouts and course notes with links to additional research and resources.
DEDICATED GROUP DISCUSSIONS
Access to our private online forum to ask questions and interact with your teachers and classmates.
SHOPPING LISTS AND SUPPLIER LISTS
Easy reference for the materials needed and where to get them, wherever you are in the world.
ONGOING COURSE ACCESS
Ongoing access to the learning platform for twelve weeks after the last lesson.
Formulator | Founder of LisaLise Pure Natural Skincare & Formulators’ Kitchen
A self-professed ‘green’ formulator, Lise works with luxurious natural plant-based ingredients – preferably as raw and unprocessed as possible. Entirely self-taught, she has years of experience in researching, testing, and developing cosmetics.
Lise is the author of several DIY e-books on making skincare and haircare products, herbal extracts, and more. She also offers consultation and bespoke formulation for beauty brands. Visit her blog where she journals her experiments and shares know-how on everything from making no-soap cleansers to pressed eye shadow.
Author | Speaker | Founder of Tisserand Institute
Robert is one of the world’s leading experts in aromatherapy with over 40 years of experience. He is a speaker, educator, author, and consultant on the science and benefits of essential oils and their safe and effective application. Robert has inspired audiences in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Brazil, Czech Republic, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Japan on topics ranging from the therapeutic foundations of essential oils to examinations on essential oils and the skin.
Robert wrote one of the first books to bring awareness to aromatherapy in 1977, The Art of Aromatherapy, and is a co-author of Essential Oil Safety (2nd Edition, 2014), a book that sets industry standards for the safe use of essential oils.
ESSENTIAL FORMULATION (Part 1)
Lesson 1 - Formulation Basics
- Evaluation of raw materials, including sourcing, storage and safety
- Tips for procuring the right tools and equipment
- The ins and outs of containers and packaging
- The importance of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
- Working with weight vs. volume and calculating percentages
Lesson 2 - Essential Oil Blending taught by Robert Tisserand
- Essential oil scent profiles and affinities – or ‘what blends with what’
- Considerations: nice scent or therapeutic efficacy? Can you blend for both?
- Natural perfumery basics: top, middle and base notes in relation to volatility of essential oils, C02 extracts, absolutes and resinoids
- The process: brainstorming, testing, reviewing and testing again
- Blending know-how: measuring, melting, diluting, recording
Products: Essential oil formulations for scent and skin application
Lesson 3 - Formulating with Fatty Oils
Understanding skin lipids, and fatty acids as components of skincare
- The differences between plant, animal and petrochemical oils
- Pros and cons of using fatty oils for skincare and health (yes, there are cons!)
- Combining the most effective fatty oils for different skin types
- Making and ‘testing’ the final product
Basic Massage Oil (unscented nutrient-rich base oil)
Moisture-Rich Facial Serum for Dry Skin (EO blend by Robert Tisserand)
Balancing Facial Serum for Oily Skin
Age-Defy Facial Serum for Mature Skin
Lesson 4 - Formulating with Waxes
- Understanding the nature of waxes and their uses
- Pros and cons of wax and oil-based products (balms and ointments)
- Overview of main principles involved in making a smooth balm
- Creation of balms for lips, face and body massage
- Troubleshooting tips for wax and oil formulations
Luxurious Lemon and Rose Lip Balm (EO blend by Robert Tisserand)
Cappuccino Lip Balm (EO blend by Robert Tisserand)
Lesson 5 - Formulating with Butters
- How to recognize natural plant butters
- Pros and cons of using butters
- Overview of main principles for formulating with butters
- Creation of buttery balms and whipped butters for massage, hands and feet
- Troubleshooting tips for using butters – including how to combat graininess
Calming Shea Butter Balm (Skin Repair EO blend by Robert Tisserand)
Soothing Body Serum (Skin Repair EO blend by Robert Tisserand)
Whipped Body Butter
Lesson 6 - Formulating Safe Bath Products
- Introduction to surfactants: mixing oil and water safely
- The challenges of creating and using bath products
- Overview of main principles for composing and customizing bath oils
- How to make bath bombs and salts with essential oils that safely disperse in water
Basic Bath Oil
Bath Bombs (EO blend by Robert Tisserand)
Bath Salt Soak
Lesson 7 - Formulating Safe Aqueous Sprays
- The complexities of making water-based sprays with essential oils
- Understanding solubilizers, emulsifiers and dispersants
- Introduction to preservatives: what does ‘broad spectrum’ mean and why do we need it?
- Creation and customization of an aqueous spray using essential oils
Basic Body Spritzer (customizable spray)
Bug Off Spray (EO blend by Robert Tisserand)
Refreshing Room Spray
Lesson 8 - Formulating Facial Masks
- Understanding natural clays and their properties
- How to ensure you’re working with the best raw materials
- Creating clay masks with essential oils and hydrosols
- How to incorporate fresh foods (avocado) for optimal results
- Shelf-life and storage of fresh-made cosmetic products
Fresh Honey and Avocado Mask for Sensitive Skin
Deep Cleansing Mask (EO blend by Robert Tisserand)
Ultra Moisture Boosting Mask
EMULSION ESSENTIALS (Part 2)
Lesson 1 - Elements of Emulsion
Understanding the nature and benefits of an emulsion
Requirements for a safe and stable emulsion
Discussion of emulsifiers and co-emulsifiers
Selecting a preservative or preservative system
Guidelines on using active ingredients in your emulsion
Lesson 2 - Light Lotions and Creams
What constitutes a light emulsion
About the emulsifiers we’ll be using in this lesson
Step by step heating and cooling methods for optimal results
Tips on the hand stirring techniques shown in this lesson
How to measure the pH of your product
Creating an emulsion for the eye area – ingredient highlights
Products: Eye serum, Body lotion
Lesson 3 - Viscous Emulsions - Creams and Salves
- The elements of rich emulsions and where they are optimally applied
- Creating emulsions for the face – ingredient highlights and tips
- Identifying and working with quality multifunctional emulsifiers
- Demonstration of the heating and cooling methods for these formulas
- Transferring to containers – tips and tricks
- Customizing your cream and salve
Rich Face cream
Soothing Salve for Dry Skin
Lesson 4 - Cold Mix and Anhydrous Emulsions
What constitutes a cold mix and an anhydrous emulsion
About the emulsifiers we’ll be using in this lesson
Fail-safe stirring techniques for cold mix emulsifiers
Emulsions as cleansers and scrubs
Tailoring your formula to your needs
What previous students say about our courses:
I would just like to thank Robert and Hana for making EO training available to all. ~ Jo Tyrer
Great support throughout the course, excellent teachers. ~ Nadine
Extremely informative and well presented. Would love to take more classes from you. ~ Petie Maguire
Really relevant to me. Great information and resources. Lise is a great presenter and even had me laughing. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in this subject.
I loved the way the information was organized and the depth of information. I can do some real formulating now- like a pro! I also just love the “freshness” of Lise and Hana, and the calmness of Robert. What a great team! I also SO appreciate the ongoing feeling that I am dealing with experts when dealing with Tisserand Institute. Thank you! ~Tina Hammer
When You Complete the Course
A signed Certificate of Completion issued by the Tisserand Institute for each course.
The program will empower you with thorough, evidence and experience based information.
AROMATIC FORMULATION Certificate
Your certificates will be signed by Lise Andersen and Robert Tisserand. These demonstrate your knowledge of formulating products with oils, butters and waxes (Level 1: Essential Formulation) and hand-stirred emulsions (Level 2: Emulsion Essentials).
Don’t miss your chance to learn formulation from one of the most experienced natural skincare formulators!
Add a whole new palette of products to your aromatherapy toolkit!
Will there be notes for me to review?
I am a certified aromatherapist. Will I learn anything new?
I am new to essential oils. Is this course for me?
“The information presented is appropriate for all levels, and although I am just beginning my aromatherapy journey it all makes sense.”
Will there be assessments or exams? What kind?
Each weekly lesson is followed by a multiple choice quiz, and there is a summary test at the end of each course. Passing both the weekly quizzes and the final tests is a requirement for certification.
You will be given enough time to prepare for the test as well as three attempts to pass.
Will I be able to ask questions?
Absolutely! In addition to the live Q&A sessions, you can post your questions in the dedicated student forums where the tutor and the TI team will address them.
What if I cannot participate on a live session?
All of our live sessions are recorded and are posted on the learning platform within 24 hours so you can watch them, or rewatch as needed during the course.
How long will I have access to the recordings?
You will have access to all the videos for at least four weeks after the last lesson (see course description for clarification as this changes for individual courses). All the printable materials (notes, handouts, charts, etc.) are of course yours to keep for reference forever.
Do you offer continuing education credits?
Because we have students from all over the world and of many professions we are not able to offer credits for specific organizations – there are simply too many. However, we issue a confirmation of CE hours gained on the course that you can apply with your professional organization and will be happy to assist with any additional documentation.
At the moment, we are an Approved Continuing Education Provider with NAHA.