Essential Oil Kinetics Masterclass
From Application to Effect
What happens after an essential oil comes in contact with your body? While it’s true that specific oils have certain properties, choosing the right oil or blend for an ailment is only a part of the solution. Where do you apply? In what dose or dilution? How frequently and for how long? The pathways that essential oils take in the body, and their mechanisms, can greatly influence therapeutic efficacy.
This six-part online certification course looks at what happens in our body after we apply essential oils to it
Over six live lessons, Dr. Petra Ratajc will introduce you to pharmacokinetics – the journey that essential oil constituents take as they move through your body – and what this means for effective application. We’ll compare psychological and pharmacological mechanisms, look at the blood-brain barrier, and the fascinating “nose-to-brain” route. Finally, we’ll discuss appropriate dose, dilution, delivery system, and mode of application, based on everything we have learned.
We’re not going to sugarcoat it – you can’t armchair this one. But while this is an intensive course with prerequisite readings of anatomy and neuroscience, our teaching format makes these concepts easily accessible. Plus, Petra and the TI team are here for clarification and support throughout.
Up for the challenge? Then join Petra in this Masterclass, and chart your own path to making optimum therapeutic decisions.
6 HOUR LONG ONLINE CLASSES
Six recorded online classes instructed by Dr. Petra Ratajc.
A LIVE Q&A SESSIONS
Ample time for participant’s questions included with each live webinar.
PRINTABLE COURSE MATERIAL
Downloadable handouts and course notes with links to additional resources.
DEDICATED GROUP DISCUSSIONS
Online forum for your questions and interaction with Petra, the TI team and classmates.
A signed Certificate of Completion from the Tisserand Institute.
ONGOING COURSE ACCESS
Ongoing access to recorded sessions for four weeks after course completion.
ANATOMY REFRESHER MINI-CLASSES
You will be given a quick and easy-to-digest anatomy primer for each of the classes to make sure you get most of the materials
A BONUS WEBINAR
A bonus webinar for early bird signups on a relevant topic.
Biologist | Researcher | Educator
On her myth-busting plant biology blog, The PhytoVolatilome, Petra refers to herself as an aromatic plants enthusiast. But click through to just one of her posts, and it’s obvious that she’s so much more than that – and backed by some serious credentials.
Petra Ratajc has a post-graduate degree in Biological and Biotechnical Sciences from the University of Ljubljana. Her PhD extends from fieldwork to molecular research in the quality, safety and efficacy of aromatic herbs and their essential oils. Petra specializes in medicinal and aromatic plants, secondary plant metabolites, pharmacognosy and pharmacology – specifically focused on plant volatile constituents.
Besides bringing an unequivocal depth of knowledge to this course, Petra is an experienced lecturer and presenter at various seminars and workshops.
Lesson 1 - Human Body Networks and Pathways
- The structure of the body, and how it processes nutrients and foreign molecules
- Comparing single substance medicines and natural complex medicines
- How essential oil constituents are absorbed, distributed, metabolized, and eliminated
- The difference between pharmacological and psychological mechanisms
Lesson 2 - Inhalation & the Olfactory System
- The olfactory system and the brain
- Olfactory receptors and the sense of smell: pathways, mechanisms, anosmias
- How essential oils influence the body and mind via the olfactory system
- The psychological effects of odor; hedonics, semantics, expectation
Lesson 3 - Inhalation & the Respiratory System
- The respiratory system, and what happens when we inhale essential oils
- How compounds transfer from the air to the lungs to the bloodstream
- The blood-brain barrier and the “nose-to-brain” route
- When and how to use respiratory inhalation as a therapeutic method
Lesson 4 - Topical Application & Effects
- The structure of the skin, and factors that influence permeability
- Penetration pathways, penetration enhancers, and how much is absorbed
- Blending essential oils for optimal absorption
- Safety issues, and when to apply essential oils topically as a therapeutic method
Lesson 5 - Ingestion & the Internal Debate
- The digestive system, and the route essential oils take after ingestion
- Liver metabolism and the bioavailabity of essential oil constituents
- Using essential oils for flavor compared to therapeutic doses and effects
- Determining when the ingestion of essential oils is appropriate
Lesson 6 - Practical Application Guidelines
- Calculating and measuring appropriate doses and dilutions
- How essential oil blending affects calculations of efficacy and safety
- The therapeutic window, cumulative dosing, and at-risk groups
- Deciding on appropriate modes of application, delivery systems, and protocols
When You Complete the Course
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION OF ESSENTIAL OIL KINETICS MASTERCLASS
Your certificate will be signed by Dr. Petra Ratajc and Robert Tisserand, and issued by the Tisserand Institute – leaders of evidence-based instruction on the therapeutic use of essential oils.
Course completion and certification demonstrates your in-depth understanding of how essential oils are absorbed and metabolized by the body, and your knowledge of the safe and effective applications of essential oils for aromatherapy clients.
What previous students say about our courses:
And remember, when you sign up BEFORE MAY 30 you’ll get a BONUS webinar on essential oil oxidation and storage by Robert Tisserand (value $39)!
Ready to get started?
Will there be notes for me to review?
I am a certified aromatherapist. Will I learn anything new?
I am new to essential oils. Is this course for me?
“The information presented is appropriate for all levels, and although I am just beginning my aromatherapy journey it all makes sense.”
Will there be assessments or exams? What kind?
Each weekly lesson is followed by a multiple choice quiz, and there is a summary test at the end of each course. Passing both the weekly quizzes and the final tests is a requirement for certification.
You will be given enough time to prepare for the test as well as three attempts to pass.
Will I be able to ask questions?
Absolutely! In addition to the live Q&A sessions, you can post your questions in the dedicated student forums where the tutor and the TI team will address them.
What if I cannot participate on a live session?
All of our live sessions are recorded and are posted on the learning platform within 24 hours so you can watch them, or rewatch as needed during the course.
How long will I have access to the recordings?
You will have access to all the videos for at least four weeks weeks after the last lesson. All the printable materials (notes, handouts, charts, etc.) are of course yours to keep for reference forever.
Do you offer continuing education credits?
Because we have students from all over the world and of many professions we are not able to offer credits for specific organizations – there are simply too many. However, we issue a confirmation of CE hours gained on the course that you can apply with your professional organization and will be happy to assist with any additional documentation.
At the moment, we are an Approved Continuing Education Provider with NAHA.