https://tisserandinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/tisserand-institute-therapeutic-foundations-essential-oils.pngGet Course Access Now!See Bundle Offer
Webinar Benefits Include:
Over 6 hours of presentation on the pharmacology behind aromatherapy and essential oil actions
In-depth citations to scientific sources
Return to the video anytime to extend your learning
Over 300 Slides
Access from anywhere with an internet connection
Save on travel time and travel costs
Robert teaching at the seminar in London
Video Series: The Therapeutic Foundations of Essential Oils
Participate in Robert Tisserand’s seminar from the comfort of your home! This webinar series is a recording of a June 2015 event at Westminster University, London, that was presented to a keen audience of 135 people from 20 countries and hosted by ITHMA.
Dive into two days of in-depth video – more than 6 hours of audio accompanied by over 300 slides used at the event.
Explore the unique insights of this detailed, evidence-based investigation of the the pharmacology and science behind essential oils and aromatherapy. Below is a sample of the actual seminar content.
By engaging in this video series, you will understand how to think about and answer such questions as:
What happens when an essential oil is absorbed by the body — via the skin, the nose, or the mouth?
How exactly do its constituent compounds exert their different effects — and how does the body metabolise those compounds?
What are the intrinsic factors that determine the difference between a therapeutic outcome and a toxic one?
And many more…
A unique video series with Robert Tisserand
Whether we speak of holistic, clinical or medical aromatherapy, the therapeutic foundation of each and every approach rests squarely on the pharmacology of essential oils — i.e. their biophysical actions in the body.
Robert Tisserand has thoroughly researched and actively tracks the development of this science, making it available and accessible to both aromatherapists and non-practitioners in this powerhouse of a seminar which was recorded during a live presentation in London.
Do not miss this unique opportunity to enrich and transform your understanding of how aromatherapy actually works, based on contemporary scientific evidence, and at the same time deepen your knowledge of several important facets of essential oils — from their biosynthesis in the plant, to their neurochemical effects in the brain, to above all their safe administration in professional-ethical aromatic practice.Get Course Access Now!FAQsUnderstand the Pharmacology Behind Essential Oils: Seminar Topics Overview
1. Essential Oil Creation in Plants
- Types of essential oil glands
- How plants make essential oils
- Functions of essential oils in the plant, implications for human use
2. Essential Oil Composition
- Environmental factors
- Laboratory analysis
- Chemical families and chemotypes
- Useful lifespan of an essential oil
3. Properties and Research
- Types of research evidence
- How relevant is animal research?
- How relevant is research on constituents?
- How essential oils interact with the body
4. Essential Oil Constituents and Their Interactions
- Expected effects, synergy, antagonism
- Complexity and potence
- Pharmacology, and holistic approaches
5. Essential Oil Dosing
- Measuring dose and dilution
- Establishing safe doses
- The therapeutic window: safe but still effective
6. Oral Dosing
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Case study: Citral (lemongrass constituent) and safe dosing
- Duration of exposure: risk vs benefit
- The “nose-to-brain” pathway
- Anxiety: neurochemicals and clinical evidence
- Case study: Success in treating brain cancer
8. Transdermal absorption
- Skin structure and permeability
- Measuring essential oil absorption
- The effect of different types of bases
- Factors such as body region, race, gender, age
9. Distribution and metabolism
- Limonene and fat distribution
- Liver metabolism
- Skin metabolism
- Why genetic profile makes a difference
10. Essential oil / drug interactions
- Blue chamomile
- How long elimination takes in humans
- Routes of excretion
- Carcinogens in essential oils
- Toxic synergy and antagonism
- Repair mechanisms and antitumoral oils
- Case study: Safrole-containing oils & real-world risk
- Essential oils for skin cancer prevention
- Oxidative stress and disease
- Antioxidants and radical scavenging
- Essential oils that stimulate detoxifying enzymes
- Essential oils and aging
- Case study: radiation damage
- Oils and constituents that inhibit inflammation pathways
- Anti-inflammatory oils
- Case study: post-herpetic neuralgia
15. Immune Stimulant
- Types of T cells
- Case study: tuberculosis
- Rebuilding immune competence
From Attendees of This Event or Previous Seminars and WebinarsThank you for a great seminar and FINALLY some presented information on essential oils that is fully based on research. Thank you for your hard work to bring aromatherapy to the level it deserves.Thank you for a wonderful and most inspirational seminar! I feel I have learned so much, and now have so much more material to study and learn from, and I’m feeling very uplifted and motivated.Robert has this amazing ability to make things sounds so simple and basic, and yet you walk away with a deeper level of knowledge and understanding. I don’t know how he does it! Brilliant.I just finished listening to your first Webinar in the skin series and wanted to tell you how well done and concise it is. Even though I have been in Aromatherapy for more than 30 years, I learned some wonderful things from your webinar and can not wait until the next one is available. Thank you so much!Thank you Robert for sharing your knowledge in such a user-friendly way. I look forward to sharing my action points from this seminar with my colleagues.Absolutely superb.Thank you Robert for your great seminar in London. It was very productive and inspiring, and drives me to study essential oil chemistry more deeply—I’m going to pre-order your webinar recording so I can revise the lecture and find out more info anytime I want. Robert TisserandRobert is an international speaker, educator and consultant. In 2010-2014 he inspired live audiences in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Brazil, the Czech Republic, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Japan. He tracks all the published essential oil research and collaborates with doctors, herbalists and pharmacologists, integrating scientific data with holistic principles. He is familiar with the foundations of Oriental medicine, and Western herbal and naturopathic traditions, with their emphasis on cleansing, protecting, strengthening immune function and aiding natural healing processes. Robert has 40 years of experience in essential oil blending and aromatherapy product development. He is a co-author of the 780-page book, Essential Oil Safety.
Robert has been instrumental in bringing widespread professional and public recognition to aromatherapy. During his 15 years as a massage therapist, he wrote one of the first books on aromatherapy, in 1977. The Art of Aromatherapy is now published in twelve languages. In 1974 he established The Aromatic Oil Company (a predecessor of Tisserand Aromatherapy) and in 1988 he founded The Tisserand Institute, setting new standards for vocational aromatherapy education. Also, in 1988, he launched The International Journal of Aromatherapy, which he published and edited for 12 years. In the 1990s, Robert orchestrated three international AROMA conferences at British Universities, each attracting some 300 attendees.
Robert is on the International Advisory Board of Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, and is a member of the Natural Perfumers Guild. In recognition of his pioneering work, he has been awarded Honorary Lifetime Membership of the International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists (IFPA), the International of Aromatherapists (IFA) and the Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA). He was privileged to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award from the AIA in 2007, and is a member of the AIA Research Committee.Get Course Access Now!FAQs